Purpose of Job
This position reports to the 911 Director. The purpose of this job is to provide management for the E911/Communications Center Unit, which is a consolidated Police and Fire Operations within the Communications Section. Duties include, but are not limited to, ensuring proper E911/Dispatch service delivery for the operation of communications center, approving leave time, tactical planning and providing dispatch services, serving as point of contact for all operational matters, and performing other related duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises and evaluates assigned staff, handling all employee concerns, directing work assignments, counseling and disciplining employees when necessary, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Manages 24X7 operations of the Communications Center.
- Manages and oversees staffing for day to day operation as well as special events.
Planning and Organizing:
- Plans and provides dispatch services and radio telephone capability for Department.
- Serves as coordination to other Public Safety Departments, City Departments, and government agencies concerning communication operational issues.
Employee Development :
- Reviews performance appraisal with staff and sets goals to enhance performance and professional development.
Administrative Duties :
- Oversees and requests upkeep, preventive and normal maintenance, and modification to operational equipment.
- Approves all payroll and leave requests for section.
Fiscal Responsibilities :
- Ensures an efficient resource allocation model
- Effectively manages overtime.
Quality Assurance :
- Ensures the maintenance of acceptable performance standards in accordance with NFPA, NENA, APCO, Federal and State laws and recommended guidelines.
Problem Identification and Solution :
- Investigates personnel disputes and issues occurring within the Unit and takes appropriate steps to resolve conflict and make recommendations.
Record Keeping and Documentation :
- Researches incidents and prepares report of findings as requested by complainants, executive Police and Fire command upon request.
- Prepares correspondence in response to incoming inquiries and as outlined by the Director/Assistant Director.
Interpersonal Relations :
- Schedules, facilitates, and attend staff meetings to ensure scheduled work is on target and information is effectively communicated.
- Attend and provide a report at shift briefings, training reviews, and periodic Section meetings.
Marginal Job Functions
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge of Job
Considerable knowledge of the principle, practices and procedures of the City and the operations and functions of the Police Department; considerable knowledge of management and technical practices, policies and procedures as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities; knowledge of the equipment used in the communications center to include its design, performance, maintenance and operation; knowledge of federal, state laws and local ordinances relevant to the operations of the center; skill in coordinating, managing and directing employees; skill in oral and written communications; skill in the use of telecommunications equipment; ability to develop and administer policies, procedures, plans and activities and to monitor performance of subordinates against measured established goals; ability to take effective action in emergency situations; ability to develop and implement long-term goals for the department in order to promote effectiveness and efficiency; ability to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, operations, budgetary and equipment needs, etc. as they pertain to departmental operations and activities. Ability to effectively communicate and interact with subordinates, management, employees, members of the general public and other groups involved in the activities of the City as they relate to the department.